Enjoy the Countryside Responsibly
The Countryside Code sets out rules on how to visit the countryside responsibly.
When walking or cycling in the countryside you are likely to be on farmland.
Visit Scotland has some helpful information on Outdoor Access Guidelines taken from the Countryside Code which you can on the Visit Scotland website.
Here are some simple actions you can take to protect the countryside and to help our farming community –
- Please leave gates as you find them. If you find them closed, leave them closed.
- Don’t walk through fields of livestock (especially cows and calves as they can be dangerous).
- Keep your dog on a lead when walking on or near a farm.
- Pick up dog poo and dispose in a bin. It can kill cattle and sheep if ingested in grass.
- Please keep to paths.
- Don’t block farm gates as we can’t get into fields to tend to livestock or crops.
- Leave no trace, please take all of your litter home or put in bins.
- Don’t light fires.